Trial Flight and Private Pilot Licence(PPL)
To all future pilots and aviation enthusiasts, discover what it’s like to become a Pilot. A Cessna 172 introductory flight for one pilot and one observer including a pre-flight briefing and safety check with a professional flight instructor. Following the flight, if you decide to continue to learn, we will give you detailed information on follow up training to a full Private Pilot Licence.
Your pilot experience will begin on the ground where the instructor will familiarise you with the aircraft. After a walk around and pre-flight inspection which covers safety procedures and aircraft controls, you will enter the aircraft sitting in the left-hand seat, the seat usually reserved for the ‘Pilot in Command’.
After an introduction to the cockpit, controls and safety brief, you will taxi the aircraft to the take off point. Your instructor will conduct and talk you through the take-off and landing. Once airborne, with breath taking panoramic views, your instructor will show you how the controls work in action, and then under his/her expert direction, you will control the aircraft by yourself and experience the exhilaration and unparalleled freedom of flight.
- Begin to learn to fly a Cessna 172 in an hour long introductory flight lesson including a pre-flight briefing and safety check
- One ticket includes one pilot and one observer nominated by the pilot
- Experience the thrill of flying an aeroplane under the supervision of a flight instructor.
- Learn the basics of controlling a light aircraft with spectacular views of the Hauraki Gulf and Auckland City.
- The experience is about one hour in total, with 30 minutes flight time and 30 minutes ground time.
- Available seven days a week, and bookings are essential and subject to availability.
- Participants with major heart conditions should not participate.
- Dress Code: Casual and comfortable. Enclosed, flat soled shoes are required.
- Maximum pilot and observer combined weight 220kg
- Minimum age limit : 15 years
- Maximum height limit: 195cm
- Maximum pilot weight: 140kg
- It would be best if you communicated fluently in English to take on the Trial Flight. Bring someone as the observer who can speak fluent English if you are not sure about your proficiency level. And to continue PPL training, you must demonstrate proficiency to at least Level Four (Operational) of the ICAO Language Proficiency Rating Scale. And in order to continue PPL training, you must demonstrate proficiency to at least Level Four (Operational) of the ICAO Language Proficiency Rating Scale.
Terms and conditions
The voucher is valid for one pilot and one observer per voucher and for four months from the date of purchase. It must be used in one visit. Please provide the “Booking Reference” upon arrival and arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
Despite our best endeavours to ensure that appointments commence on time, safety is our primary concern and therefore Air Auckland cannot guarantee that the experience will commence at the scheduled appointment time.
Refunds and cancellations
Air Auckland Limited reserves the right to postpone or cancel a flight due to weather or any unforeseen circumstance. If the flight is cancelled due to weather, the pilot may choose to reschedule or to receive a refund. A 5% booking fee will be charged and the remaining amount will be refunded under this circumstance.
The pilot will forfeit the experience if he/she cancels within 48 hours or if he/she fails to show up. A no show is when the pilot fails to arrive at the departure venue no later than 5 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment time having failed to advise Air Auckland of a delay in arrival at the departure venue no later than 30 minutes before the scheduled appointment time.
The experience will not be delayed or rescheduled if the observer fails to show up on time, as the experience is principally for the pilot, it will proceed as scheduled.
A 10% fee per transaction will be charged if the pilot cancels outside of 48 hours and the remaining amount will be refunded. A $30 fee per transaction will apply if the ticket holder needs to reschedule the experience more than once. All transactions will be billed in New Zealand dollars and are inclusive of GST.
Refunds will be processed within 30 working days.